Sunday, July 13, 2008

One Rude Auntie

Recently I had an unpleasant encounter with a very rude auntie while at work. She came into the clinic requesting to see 'the old one', referring to my father, the senior physician. I asked, "Do you mean you want to see 'shi fu'?" ('shi fu' means the master). She refused to correct her term of reference and said that was what her friend told her to say.

Being very peeved with her rudeness, I told her that it was not polite to say 'the old one'. The correct term is 'lao yi shi' (meaning 'the senior physician') or 'shi fu' (meaning 'the master'). She was incensed to be told off by me and refused to accept what I said. Then she proceeded to throw her IC (identity card) at me. This lady is really the epitome of rudeness!

Later she called her friend and loudly exclaimed on the phone, "Aiya, it's all your fault! You are the one who told me to ask for 'the old one' then I got scolded... yada yada yada."

There have also been previous incidents of patients asking for 'the old one' but most of them will correct themselves when I point them in the right direction. But this lady really takes the cake.

It amazes me that people can live so many years of their lives and not learn basic rules of etiquette. And when they lack humility, they will never learn.

May we always be gracious with our words and in our dealings with others.

No comments:

rhapsody - a state of elated bliss; an ecstatic expression of feeling