Sunday, April 26, 2009

Oh the joy of exercising!

For the longest time, I've been dreaming about going swimming or roller-blading, or joining an aerobics class. The dream was never realised because I had convinced myself I have no time to do all that. The only exercise I get nowadays is when I'm in a good enough mood to bring my kids and nephew/nieces to East Coast Park for a spot of cycling after work on weekends. Even then, the exercise is mininal as we can't even cycle for an hour due to the kids' lack of stamina.

Recently, a friend I met in Toastmasters who is an exercise buff (he's into swimming, running, diving, badminton, basketball, football, trekking, and martial arts!) strongly encouraged me to exercise even if it's for a few minutes everyday. Spurred on by his encouragement, I brought Brownie (our new pup) out for a walk on Thursday morning after sending Dawn to school. A 20-minute walk around the neighbourhood left me slightly panting and perspiring. It actually felt good!

Friday morning, I woke up a little late but decided to go ahead with the morning walk with Brownie anyway. A 15-minute brisk walk to start the day put a spring in my steps! I'm sure Brownie enjoyed the walk as much as I did. He was busy exploring the grassy patches along the roadside and checking out other dogs in the neighbourhood. Haha..

Then I announced we would go to MacRitchie Reservoir on Saturday morning at 7am. This was for the benefit of my niece Kathleen from China, who had just arrived in Singapore on Tuesday. My other niece Dawn was very dubious. 'You sure you can wake up?'

I was determined to go through with my plan so at the unearthly hour of 6.45am (unearthly for me, anyway!), I dragged myself out of bed and was downstairs waiting by 7am sharp. I was so proud of myself. Dawn was the second to come down. I managed to lure Joel out of bed and by 7.30pm we set off for our morning adventure.

Joel was whining at the beginning about being tired and not wanting to walk but once we got to our destination, he started to perk up. Brownie was all excited as usual and we had a swell time walking, chatting and enjoying the scenery. It felt wonderful to be out in the big open space, surrounded by greenery and the sounds of chirping birds.

The exercise ended with breakfast at Macdonalds - a highlight for Joel. He enjoyed himself so much that he promised to wake up early every Saturday to exercise with me. I felt so happy then.

Happiness is doing something you enjoy (e.g. exercising, being with family).
Happiness is being able to enjoy life and breath.
Happiness is having your son acknowledge he enjoyed the time spent with you.

Research has shown that "exercise stimulates various brain chemicals, which may leave you feeling happier and more relaxed than you were before you worked out." It was so true for me! No more excuses about having no time to exercise. It's about making time.

No comments:

rhapsody - a state of elated bliss; an ecstatic expression of feeling