Saturday, November 7, 2009

MY SISTER'S KEEPER

This week we had free movie vouchers and opted to watch MY SISTER'S KEEPER. It was such a heart- wrenching movie. 

Cameron Diaz is the mother Sara who gave up her job, her marriage and her life to keep her daughter Kate (who was was diagnosed with leukemia) alive. In the process, she also sacrifices her youngest daughter Anna, who was conceived by in vitro fertilization to become a donor. 

The hardest thing for a parent must be watching your child die and feeling helpless that you can't do anything to stop the process.  Although we know that everyone will die one day, it's just hard for a parent to accept a child's early death.  This movie is about letting go. 

My mother never did let us go.  She tied all her 3 children to her side by making us work in the family business.  I had contemplated moving away by getting an Australian PR but that did not work out.  I vow that I would never do the same to my children.

I had told my older boy Joel that when he turns 21, he is free to choose what he wants to do with his life. But I do wonder if I will be able to let go of my children with equanimity when the time comes. I really wonder...
 

No comments:

rhapsody - a state of elated bliss; an ecstatic expression of feeling