It was Saturday morning. The phone rang at 7am... I was just waking up and going to the toilet, wondering who on earth is that calling so early in the morning?
When I came out of the toilet, my mom came into my room and delivered a piece of earth-shattering news. Cousin A has died and cousin C was in hospital, near death. They had been beaten up by gangsters in Geylang the previous night.
I could not believe my ears! What? Why? How? Questions, endless questions floated around in my mind. After asking around, the story slowly emerged. It seems that after dinner at Marine Parade with other cousins and my brother, they had decided to go to Geylang to look up some friends. Cousins A and C had gone in their friend's car but once they alighted near a back alley in Geylang, they were set upon by gangsters who started hitting them with chairs and other stuff.
When my brother came to the scene, the gangsters had already fled and the police were already there. A was still conscious but bleeding profusely. My brother even spoke to him briefly. Both cousins were taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital where Cousin A died 2 hours later due to head injuries and internal haemorrhage. Fortunately, Cousin C was well enough to be discharged so he could attend his brother's funeral.
It was a case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. My cousin was just an innocent victim, but the newspapers, especially the Chinese tabloid painted a tainted picture of him, linking him to the gangsters. He was the most unassuming person I knew!
The mood at the funeral was sombre and there was much sadness and weeping. Especially at the moment when the coffin was pushed into the incinerator. He was never coming back. May you rest in peace.
The day of mourning is over... May our sorrow be replaced with strength to face the challenges of each new day.
Psalm 23
1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
No comments:
Post a Comment