Did you know it takes so little to make someone's day? 2 incidents on 2 consecutive days made me realise this.
Yesterday I was shopping at Shop N Save and for every $15 spent, you get a sticker. A collection of 12 of these stickers entitle you to a $9 voucher. I used to collect them, but not anymore. And always there would be a bunch of old ladies, usually Chinese, outside Shop N Save waiting to collect these stamps from shoppers who may not want them.
I spent more than $20 but the cashier did not give me a sticker. I did not bother asking her since I do not collect the stickers anymore. Once I walked out of the store, an old lady walked up to me and asked me for my sticker. I said I did not get one. "How much did you spent?" the lady asked me, eyeing the bags of stuff I was carrying. "Oh, $20 something," I informed her.
The lady bristled with indignance and told me, "Oh they should have given you one. It's one for every $15."
"Oh, ok. I'll go ask for it." Which was what I did. The cashier checked my receipt and gave me a sticker, which I then dutifully handed over to the old lady. She accepted it eagerly and was all smiles as she thanked me profusely. Just one small sticker could make someone's day.
Today at work, a new patient came to register - a good-looking young chap. He was smiling pleasantly at me and when I handed him his number, he actually said, 'Hmmm, 11. That is a good number.' Now, no one, and I mean, NO ONE has ever commented that a number given to them was a good number. This was a first and his positive energy just rubbed on to me. His politeness and positiveness made my day.
So you see, it's true. It can take so little to make someone's day. I'm gonna make someone's day tomorrow but being extra polite on the phone or extra nice when a patient asks questions, even irritating ones... haha...
Let's put our EQ to the test.
No comments:
Post a Comment