Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Tree Top Walk Adventure



Ever since I read about the tree top walk back in 2004, I had wanted to go. Now in 2012, I finally got to fulfil this wish.  I decided to go during CNY as I had 5 days off. Posted an invitation on FB, but no takers. Persuaded Joel to go with me but he backed off last night. So I decided to go on my own. The whole night I was thinking about the trip and did not sleep well. I so wanted it to happen.


This morning I woke up at 7.45am once the alarm went off. Mom asked where I was going and I said 'exercise'. She said she wanted to come with me and I told her no, sorry, you can't come cos' it's a 3-hour walk and you were not feeling well the day before. She said she has always wanted to go for the tree-top walk, couldn't I go the next day? But the kids would have started school and that made it logistically difficult. 


Suddenly, she announced that dad would go with me.  "Huh? Are you sure dad can tahan a 3-hour walk?" I asked skeptically. "Of course," she exclaimed, "don't look down on your dad... he's an excellent walker." So it was settled... Dad would go with me.


Went to Lower Peirce Reservoir and asked a few uncles there which way to the tree top walk and was directed to another car park at VENUS DRIVE. Finally found the right car park at 9.20am and we were off.  Into the forest and foliage we went, following the narrow muddy path. Then the path ended and we were on a road that led to the Singapore Island Country Club and a PUB secured place. I had to stop ever so often and wait for my dad to catch up. Along the way, we met many families with kids, some as young as 4 or 5. I believe it's all in the upbringing and training and I'm determined to bring Joel with me next time.


Upon reaching the ranger station, we had a toilet break and continued on a muddy path to the tree top walk. We finally reached it after an hour of walking. The walk way was swaying side to side and it felt as if you were on a boat. You could see the forest canopy and the reservoir from afar.  The breeze caressed my face and it felt peaceful.  


The tree top walk itself was disappointingly short. Before long, it was over. There were a series of steps going down, down, down, then up, up, up. I could see dad was beginning to struggle. Going up and down steps proved very challenging for him. He came across another gentleman with a family and asked him how old he was. When the uncle replied 57, dad proudly announced that he was 78! 


At the end of the wooden trail, I somehow misread the signs and took a wrong turn. That turned out to be a grave mistake. I took a right turn, thinking that Jelutong Tower was the one near the ranger station and kept going for at least 20 mins before realising I was wrong.  Dad was already hobbling by now and I can tell he was pretty pissed with me for making the wrong turn. I made him rest for a bit before moving on.


Finally we reached the hut near the ranger station and I made him rest again and gave him some biscuits.  It was already 12 plus by then.  Another hour to get back to the car! The way back was very trying. Dad seemed to have pulled a muscle in his right hip and he was walking very unsteadily.  A few times, he seemed to be swaying and I had to hold on to him.  I asked him to hold my hand but he refused. So I walked right behind him and held onto him whenever he swayed.


Going down slope was particularly tricky. I held on tight to his hand and chided him when he refused to hold my hand. Once he tottered backwards and almost fell over. Luckily a jogger nearby held onto him. I screamed out loud in alarm. 


Kept praying that Dad would reach the car safely. If he falls, I cannot imagine the consequences. Finally he made it to the car. I was immensely relieved.


But once we got home, the bickering with my husband started. All accusations and damnation about why I had to go on this stupid walk today, of all days, and get him involved, cos' now mom wants him to bring her on the walk the next day... on and on his tirade went. 


I'm proud of my dad for not complaining a single time even though he was in so much pain. He is an epitome of stoicism. The next time, I shall go on this walk again by myself. I believe I can do it in 3 hours.

No comments:

rhapsody - a state of elated bliss; an ecstatic expression of feeling